Inspecting Your Vehicle
The First Class Condition Card Test
Please note, the Lease Return Guide also references a First Class Condition Card which can be used to conduct your own vehicle condition review prior to your pre-inspection. The approximate dimensions of the card are 8.5 cm/3.375 inches (width) x 5.5 cm/2.125 inches (height).
We’ve made it easy to figure out what’s considered normal wear and tear. The First Class Condition Card Test takes the surprise out of returning your Mercedes-Benz when your lease is over.
How does it work? It’s simple: any surface damage that doesn’t exceed the size of the First Class Condition Card passes the test. Please see the Lease Return Guide for more details.
Please keep in mind this self-assessment is not a replacement of the pre-inspection.
Tires & Rims
What Makes the Grade
The tires must have at least 0.32 cm (4/32”) of tread depth at greatest wear point and must be the same size, type, load and speed rating as the original tires when you return your vehicle. Please note, winter tires are not considered original equipment.
For more on our approved specifications see the sticker found inside the driver’s side door or your Owner’s Manual
To make sure your tires and rims are in good condition,
keep these factors in mind:
- The tires on the same axle are of the same brand (4MATIC vehicles must have all four tires of the same brand)
- The spare tire and rim can be found in the trunk and are in operable condition
- The rims are not bent and they are free of breaks
- Tires are free of bulges, cuts, sidewall damage and abnormal wear
- Any wheel scratches and gouges pass the First Class Condition Card Test
Damage to the rims is only chargeable if it extends beyond the First Class Condition Card.
Tire cuts, bulges, and sidewall damage are all chargeable regardless
Some exterior damage is expected over the course of your lease, so use the First Class Condition Card to determine whether any bumps, dings or dents fail the test. And please remember a maximum of maximum of 5 damage occurrences (that pass the First Class Condition Card Test) per panel is acceptable. These ‘panels’ include the vehicle’s front and rear bumper. This excludes holes, tears, or breaks.
Dents are only chargeable if they extend beyond the First Class Condition Card. Holes, tears, or breaks are chargeable regardless of the size.
When you return your vehicle, the interior must be free of any tears, cuts, holes burns or stains that cannot be removed – regardless of their size. Any other damage, such as a scratch in the leather seating, is acceptable as long as it passes the First Class Condition Card Test and does not penetrate the fabric.
Interior scratches that do not penetrate the fabric are only chargeable if they extend beyond the First Class Condition Card.
If you have a scuff that doesn’t alter or expose the underlying material, it’s acceptable no matter what size. If the underlying material is cut, shaved or torn, then apply the First Class Condition Card Test. Remember all holes tears or breaks are not acceptable regardless of the size.
Bumper damage is only chargeable if it extends beyond the First Class
Scratches of any size that don’t go through the paint are acceptable. If your vehicle has scratches that DO go through the paint, just apply the First Class Condition Card Test.
Scratches through the paint are only chargeable if they extend beyond the First Class Condition Card
Please Note: Any repairs you have made that don’t meet our standards are subject to charge. Before you get repairs done, check with your dealer. They can help you make sure that your repairs are made correctly by an authorized Mercedes-Benz body shop.
Mechanical & Electric
To ensure a seamless and easy return of your Mercedes-Benz, be sure to keep up with the necessary maintenance of your vehicle throughout your lease. It’s also important that you get your vehicle serviced at a Mercedes-Benz Service Centre, where our state-of-the-art diagnostic systems can determine your precise service requirements. Please make sure that all necessary maintenance has been completed before you return your vehicle.
What Makes the Grade
- All maintenance service specified by the manufacturer has been performed and documented by a stamped Service Booklet or a copy of the repair order
- Any issues covered under warranty have been repaired
- All engine or drivetrain components are operable
- You still have your Service Booklet/ Owner’s Manual/COMAND Manual/Service and Warranty Information Booklet
- Both keys are returned
Glass and Lenses
Be sure that the windshield, lenses, plastic windows and all other glass in your Mercedes-Benz meet these standards when your lease ends:
- All glass and lenses are free of stars, cracks, or holes 
- Any scratches can be covered by the First Class Condition Card
- No more than 2 chips have been plugged 
- Any chips or plugs are smaller than 3 mm and sit outside the driver’s field of vision defined by wiper path
- Any aftermarket window tint is free of any scratches, bubbling, tears, or discolouring
Chips are only chargeable if they are more than 0.3 cm in diameter, and do not fit within the circle of the measurement tool on the First Class Condition Card.
Keep in mind windshield replacement is often covered by insurance. Check with your insurance agent.
 A “star” is a chip with one or more legs.
 A “plug” refers to any repair to windshield damage.
Modifications & Broken/Missing Parts
When you return your leased vehicle, we ask that all factory-installed parts are present, undamaged and in good working order. Any modifications made by an authorized Mercedes-Benz dealership are acceptable, but if any unauthorized ones have been made, there may be a charge to restore any aftermarket changes back to their original specifications.
What Doesn’t Make the Grade
Please be aware that anything changed or added to your vehicle is considered an aftermarket modification, unless it was installed by an authorized Mercedes-Benz dealer.
These changes can include, but are not limited to, items such as:
- Lowering the suspension
- Changing the colour or using non-factory paint schemes
- Altering existing or adding new spoilers and/or trailer hitches
- Holes in the frame
- Damage caused by the removal of any part or accessory
- Other aftermarket alterations not covered by the Mercedes-Benz warranty
No charge with tow hook cover.
Chargeable if tow hook cover is missing.